Most adults reach a point in their life where they begin to question if the time has come to invest in homeownership. Weighing the pros and cons of renting versus buying can leave your head spinning. We are here to give you some advice and some tips from the experience we have as your local real estate agent. We have seen almost any and every scenario when it comes to buying real estate in San Diego and we have a good handle on the best way to decide upon purchasing or renting a home.
Where are you in life?
One of the first things you need to consider when it comes to the debate between buying a home and renting one is an assessment of exactly what point you are at in life. If you are fresh out of college and uncertain of where you want to settle down, buying a house might not be the right choice for the moment. If, however, you are starting a family and love the career you have built in San Diego, it may be time to consider buying your own house. Stop and ask yourself a few things.
- How certain are you that you want to live in San Diego?
- How settled is your career?
- If you have kids, is there a certain school district you want to see them attend?
- How important is investing money right now versus upfront spending money?
- How good are you at sticking to a budget?
- Would you consider roommates to help pay off a mortgage?
The Pros and Cons of Homeownership and Renting
Homeownership and renting have disparate pros and cons. A lot of the decision will come down to your long term goals. If you are someone who has your heart set on jet setting for the next five years, you might not be ready for this step. If you are, however, someone who is looking to the future and want to spread out your investments so you can retire younger, purchasing a property in San Diego could be the perfect choice. The following are some pros and cons of owning a home.
Owning a Home
- Future Payoff: One of the major reasons people choose to buy a house is because they want to invest in their future. A home, especially in a place like San Diego where property values continue to increase in value, is one of the best investments you will ever make. Although they do require upkeep, the value of property is something unique in the way it continues to gain value. When you buy a new car, the moment you drive it off the lot it depreciates. When you purchase a brand new phone, it loses value the day you open the box. Homes and real estate are different in that sense. A well-maintained property will continue to increase in value and can provide you with an excellent payout down the road.
- Stability: Owning a home provides a sense of stability renting will never give you. You are not at the mercy of the every whim of your landlord. You determine how long you want to live where you are and you can decide exactly what color you want your front door. Owning a home also gives you a great sense of belonging to the local community than renting ever will.
- Tax Benefits: Homeownership will provide you with excellent tax write offs. The interest on your mortgage payment is deductible along with a lot of the related expenses to homeownership.
- Maintenance: The beauty of renting is that when your AC unit stops working, you call your landlord and it is out of your hands. When you own a home, you are responsible for maintaining everything. If the pipes burst, the roof leaks, or the gutters fall off, you have to handle it. Factoring in the costs of maintenance is important to consider upfront.
- Risk: Renting is risk free. While you will never get any return on the money you invest in renting, you also have zero stress about the housing market. Risks can be mitigated by doing proper research before you buy, but there will always be some risk attached to buying a house.
- Less Flexibility: Buying a house is a big step and requires a degree of responsibility that renting does not. Renting means you can move pretty much anytime you want with little to no repercussion. Buying a home does dictate some stability.
If you think you are ready to buy a house in San Diego, contact our team for assistance! We can help you consider the pros and cons of homeownership versus renting.